- A must for Russian history enthusiastsSeptember 25, 2018 by Warren coppard from Australia
One of the best podcasts around. Great topics and guests. The depth of questioning by Sean is fantastic and often leaves the expert guests exploring the subjects even more deeply
- A must-listenJune 24, 2018 by E. Rattazzi from United States
For anyone interested in Russia, the SRB podcast provides history, context, and insight, all presented in a lively and engaging manner by host Sean Guillory.
- There’s nothing else like itMarch 11, 2018 by krothrock from United States
This podcast is must-listening for anyone who claims to follow, study, or hold expertise on Russia. Sean talks to everyone you’d want to hear discuss Russia. Except for the Kevin Rothrock interview. That guy is boring.
- Great podcast, great taste in musicFebruary 20, 2018 by Strat2rat from United States
Love the show, just found it two days ago, and have blown through 6 episodes. The song at the end is always a treat.
- UnderratedDecember 14, 2017 by Mcb2491 from United States
Wish I had class with Sean when I was a student
- SolidAugust 26, 2017 by A Cat Called Sneeze from Canada
Solid deep-dives on aspects of Russian and Soviet history. Guillory brings in interesting guests. Less impressed by his occasional lapses into chasing the shiny balls the Kremlin tosses out there, especially on Ukraine.
- ExcellentAugust 13, 2017 by boby from United States
Covers a myriad of topics and Sean does an excellent job of facilitating a dialogue
- Excellent Resource!September 22, 2016 by Anya B.Z. from United States
I am a graduate student of Russian & Eastern European studies, and I think I learn more from this podcast than from my classes. It offers loads of balanced, well-research information about Russia and Eurasia, on a huge variety of topics. I highly recommend this podcast to anyone who’s interested in that part of the world.
- Thoughtful, academic coverage of RussiaJuly 22, 2016 by Tronagon from United States
I’ve never been to Russia, but have had an amateur interest since high school. This blog does a great job of discussing real current issues thoughtfully with qualified people. A lot of US coverage takes a sort of automatic Cold War view of the country, and that’s that. SRB covers a big complex country with nuance, which is amazingly rare.
- Good Academic PodcastApril 29, 2016 by Smkirov from Canada
Very interesting when Sean does Soviet history. The current affairs/foreign policy episodes are not interesting.
- Best Russian/Eastern European PodcastFebruary 29, 2016 by JMcB1981 from United States
Sean’s Russia Blog Podcast is far and away the best podcast you will find on all matters Russia and Eastern Europe. As a scholar (historian w/ phd) who has lived in and worked on Russia/EE for the past 15 years, there is no better podcast I can recommend to learn about the fascinating, complex, and often times difficult history and politics of the region. What makes this podcast great is both breadth of the subject matter and the range and knowledge of its host. You will find an array of topics on the podcast from left-wing politics and the Maidan revolution to youth politics in Russia to the history of the Gulag. Sean brings in historians, policy makers, journalists, and many other leaders in their fields to present on numerous important issues relevant to Russia and the region. While the topics and guests alone would make this podcast a must listen, Sean’s balanced, thoughtful, and probing questions and analysis always bring out the best in his guests, making the podcast even better. Given the breadth of the topics covered on the show, it requires a host with a great skill-set to tap into all of these fields. Whether its economics or the Russian revolution, Sean always has something relevant to add to the discussion. It takes someone with great erudition to pull this off. Sean’s interviewing technique is equal parts scholar, journalist, and just interested educated interlocutor. The show never feels too wonky or too much like you’re stuck in a never-end grad seminar. I recommend people getting interested in the region for the first time, as well as scholars, students, and policy makers. You won’t find anything else better out there on Russia and Eastern Europe.
- Great Podcast on RussiaFebruary 23, 2016 by Rbvira from United States
I listen to Sean’s Russia Blog to keep up with the situation in Russia. The blog goes deep into the rivalry and inter political conflicts in Russia.
- Variety and depthFebruary 22, 2016 by stricklj from United States
One of the best things about SRB Podcast is the variety of experts that Sean gets on his show. You don’t just get one perspective here, you get a wide variety of experts on various aspects of history and social science as they relate to Russia and the region. I highly recommend it.
- Great podcastDecember 30, 2015 by Jioooo from United States
I love this longformish podcast on Russia. Only complaint is that I wish it was updated more often with a more regular schedule. Sean is a great interviewer with a fantastic disarming style. He is able to interview people who he disagrees with but without being disagreeable at all and allows for a great exchange of ideas and opinions. I really enjoy this podcast and recommend it to those who are interested in Russian history.
- Unique and invaluableOctober 31, 2015 by Loukas Sweden from Sweden
Sean manages to make his podcast in-depth and learned, but also approachable, and touches on a refreshingly eclectic range of topics. One of those podcasts you can’t afford to miss if you’re interested in the East of Europe.
- Highly recommendedOctober 18, 2015 by Kotivas from Russia
For all Russia watchers.
- I listen to every episode.October 13, 2015 by klerovich from United States
Sean is an incisive and unpretentious interviewer, and the topics are a great mix of history and current events. Highly recommend.
- Interesting and informativeJuly 4, 2015 by MinnaB from United States
This podcast covers aspects of modern events and Russian culture (and recent history) in a at not found in other podcasts. It covers issues I didn’t know existed as well as those that are well known, but from a new perspective.
- FantasticMarch 12, 2015 by Montavius from United States
Great podcast if you are looking for a knowledgeable dialogue about Russia.