Surveying Putin’s Generation

At some point, I don’t know when, Martin Luther proclaimed, “Who has the youth, has the future.” If this is true, then Putin has assured that his “plan” will continue well after Russia’s youth grow up and take the reigns of power. But Putin’s success in capturing the youth isn’t because of Nashi. It is more a product of the first generation’s formative years coinciding with Russia’s economic boom. The result is a generation, which many now call Putin’s Generation, that places wealth, careerism, and political conservativism as hallmarks of their identity. That is at least what VTsIOM’s Dmitry Polikanov says in his article “The New Russians.”

Here is a run down of Polikanov’s findings from surveying 18-24 year olds:

1. Acquiring wealth (62%) trumps family (58%), children (45%), career (37%) and a good education (21%) as key goals. It’s quite interesting that a good education is at the opposite end of wealth, since one would expect the former providing a greater opportunity for get the latter. What it tells me is that for Russian youths, wealth is viewed as something obtainable without or in spite of education.
  2. Russian youth are more politically apathetic than the general population. Only 55% of youth said they didn’t engaged in a political action in the last two years compared to 47% of the population. The most common political act is voting. In fact, Polikanov finds that youth vote 5-10% less than the general population. Only 37% say they discuss politics. Youth’s political attitudes, when they have them, are “liberal Right,” and only 25% favor “the free market and political democracy.” On the whole most prefer non-political forms of organization and expression such as literary or cultural societies.
  3. Russian youth support the authorities. ” Putin’s youth aren’t looking for a democratic “revolution”, and don’t place much stake in the concept of a Western democratic model,” says Polikanov. About half (40-45%) support United Russia and other pro-government parties. They are completely turned off to both the extreme left and right. About 52-55% identify with the nation as “a concept capable of uniting the entire nation,” but only 9% agree with “Russia for the Russians.” “Unlike many liberals’ expectations in the 1990s,” Polikanov writes, “the new generation is mostly loyal to the authorities and reluctant to support the opposition in any form.”
  4. Their views of religion are increasingly more Protestant than Orthodox. About a quarter of religious youth emphasize personal salvation and morality rather than observing Orthodox customs and ritual.

Taken as a whole, Polikanov says that his findings show that “Putin’s youngsters are more individualistic, less romantic, more pragmatic and more focused on achieving personal success.”

Excerpts from interviews with young people paint a more nuanced picture. Here are a few quotes.

Alexander, 23, actor:

“A young actor can earn a decent enough wage, and this is improving with every year. Someone starting out, for example, will get $150-$200 for a day of filming. You start negotiating as you get more experience. Though you’ve got to hurry to get in ahead of someone else. You see, everything in Russia depends on the individual, on how much he actually wants things himself.”

Masha, 24, PhD student:

“Overall, though I don’t agree with much of what the current regime stands for, they have to be praised for getting us out of the chaos of the 1990s. Of course, you can criticize Putin for tightening the screws. But then again bringing order always requires some screws to be tightened.”

Denis , 26, student and small-scale entrepreneur:

“I’m interested in buying a car – not politics. . . As far as I’m concerned, success in life is about being one’s own boss. It’s about stability. Confidence. Family. And… well… I’d say its easier these days to have all four. Definitely compared to the 1990s. You can buy anything you need now. Apart from a flat – you can work day in, day out, and you still won’t have enough. I’ve heard the government are offering grants, but I’m not really at that stage yet. I’ve only just got together with a girl, you see. I’m hoping something serious will come of it.

Are our politicians changing things for the better? I can’t really answer that. There is progress on some fronts. Life is changing. But politics don’t interest me. I’m more occupied with other things, like buying a car. I’ll definitely do it this year, though I haven’t decided which one yet.”

Stepan, 25, father of two children:

“With kids, your problems will increase. But I’m optimistic.

How are things with money? Not easy. I’m always looking for the next ruble. But I don’t complain – if I need something, I’ll always find a way of getting it. It’s something I’ve learned in life – if you give yourself a goal and a deadline, you’ll do things. Of course, you’ll sometimes hit a brick wall, like Russian bureaucracy, but even this is getting easier. Not so long ago we even came across a helpful government official. . .

We’ve got relatives and friends who have moved abroad, but we want to stay and work in Russia. I know when my children start to grow up, my problems will increase. I know I can’t be entirely confident about the next 10 years. But I’m optimistic when I look to the future.”

Nikita , 24, classical musician:

“Politics are important to me. My sympathies lie on the side of liberal democracy, but the problem is that this have never had any sensible proponents in Russia. I didn’t vote out of principle, but the way things stand, I think I would probably have voted for Medvedev. He seemed to me the lesser evil.”

Angela, 20, student:

“My identity is in being Russian and Orthodox. . .

Am I interested in politics? Not really. I don’t watch news on the TV. I try not to watch TV at all. But I voted in the elections. For Medvedev. Why? I like Putin’s politics, and I think Medvedev will continue in the same way. It is thanks to Putin that Russia is on the up.

I think Russia is right to take a hard line abroad. You have to remember Russia takes up one sixth of the entire globe! The most important thing is that we avoid a war. I believe all people are brothers. Do I think a war is possible? Maybe. I think the US present a real danger with their politics.”

Alexander, 26, political activist and party worker:

“Being involved in public politics is like a drug.

How did it start? I’ve been actively involved in politics since my second year at university, but it was only in late 2004 when things really got interesting. This was when I founded a site – skazhi.net.

My idea was a response to an unpopular government decision to replace social benefits-in-kind with direct payments. We saw that people were upset, wanted to protest, but didn’t know where or how. So we decided to create a dynamic online map of Russia, with updates of all the protests going on around Russia. We ended up getting loads of coverage in the foreign media, including CNN.

As for me, I had great fun growing my beard and wearing a cap I wanted to play on the image of Che Guevara. I think that people quite liked it.

When the wave subsided, I left the public arena to work for a political party.

To be honest, I miss it loads. The exposure gave me a high… it was like a drug.”

Anna, 17, student:

“I don’t believe we are on a collision course with the West . .

Would I have taken part in the elections had I been 18? I think it would have probably been worth it. To be honest, I don’t feel any particular need or desire to vote.

Do I consider myself European? That’s a difficult one. I suppose I consider myself Russian first and foremost. Probably, yes, we are closer to Europe. Moscow at least. It is a completely different world in the eastern regions.

89 comments on Surveying Putin’s Generation

1. fh says:

That’s a pretty revealing picture, isn’t it? “I’m interested in buying a car – not politics. . .” Not, I suppose, very different from a 26-year-old self-described student and entrepreneur anywhere really. But what happens if commodity prices tank and these aspirations are frustrated?

2. Misha says:

“Today, everyone is talking about a clash of the West with Russia. I’m not sure about this. I’ve traveled a lot and I think that people generally respond to Russians well. The only exception to this is the Czechs, who for historical reasons really don’t like us.”

****

Overall, Russians are better liked in the Czech Republic than a number of other areas.

Do some comparisons with any number of countries and regions like Western Ukraine, Latvia, Estonia, Poland and Hungary.

Vis-a-vis Czechoslovakia, the events of 1968 created animosity, which lingered for a good number of years.

Legendary Czech ice hockey player and coach Ivan Hlinka coached in post-Soviet Russia. Czech forward Jaromir Jagr is considering playing again Russia. He liked his previous experience there.

I saw a poll indicating how most Czechs don’t hold grudges against Russia. This has been my own personal experience. One shared to me by Russians.

3. Tim Newman says:

This has been my own personal experience. One shared to me by Russians.

So was it your own personal experience, or one shared to you by Russians?

4. Misha says:

You don’t get the gist dip?

You can easily nitpick at other shorthand written foibles. Especially those by the grammar Nazi fraud Chris Doss.

5. Chrisius Maximus says:

Grammar Nazi fraud Troll Patrol in the house!

6. Misha says:

Keeps proving me right.

7. Misha says:

Some interesting people read these venues:

Здравствуйте, Михаил!

По матери я принадлежу как раз к той петербургской фамилии
    фон Гильдебрандт (иногда писалась Гильденбрандт и Гильдербрандт), происходящей из-под Данцига(Западная Пруссия), о которой Вы писали на одном из Интернет-форумов, указав на то, что Ваша бабушка являлась урожденной фон Гильдебрандт. Кроме того, Вы говорите о том, что эта фамилия была ассимилированной еврейской фамилией, о чем я до сих пор ни от кого не слыхал. Интересно, к какой из ветвей нашей фамилии (петербургско-харьковской, витебской или тверской) принадлежала Ваша бабушка. Напишите, пожалуйста, мне о ней. Тем более, что я – автор книги о Гильдебрандтах.
    Я – праправнук доктора медицины и действительного статского советника Федора Михайловича Гильдебрандта и правнук капитана Лейб-Гвардии Московского полка Вячеслава Фридриховича Гильдебрандта, погибшего в августе 1914 года во время неудавшегося наступления русских войск в Западной Пруссии.
    Наверное удивительно найти родственника за океаном.

С признательностью,
    Владимир Ткаченко-Гильдебрандт

*****

A future “Roots” perhaps.

8. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Напишите, пожалуйста, мне о ней.”

He should have a good laugh when he realizes you can’t write him in Russian.

9. Misha says:

As I understand, David Johnson, Sean Guillory, Ira Straus and (until recently) Peter Lavelle would fit that category.

Your two faced barbs on such matter are bogus.

10. Chrisius Maximus says:

“You brag about having a language proficiency”

Pas de tout. Mais cependant c’est vrai que je connais plus de langues que toi, debile, parce que je ne suis pas incroyablement parresseux et peux travailler. C’est aussi la raison que je n’habite plus chez ma mere.

11. Misha says:

Neither do I fool.

Let us know when your brilliant comments get picked up by such venues as the BBC, Counterpunch, Inosmi.ru, to name just a few.

12. Chrisius Maximus says:

Il serait plus formidable si tu avais repondu dans la langue glorieuse de Baudelaire et l’eternel Moliere, mais en tout cas je m’en doute que tu avais ecoute de ces personnages dans ta vie entiere, parce que tu as une evidente manque d’education. Exactement comme dans le cas de Cotton Mather. Helas, la vie d’un con, c’est un chose drole. Pardonne-moi, je dois aller de l’ordinateur et rire un peu maintenant.

13. Tim Newman says:

You don’t get the gist dip?

I have no idea what “gist dip” is, so I’ll assume you meant simply “gist”. The asnwer is no I didn’t, because you condradicted yourself, hence I asked for clarification.

14. Tim Newman says:

Writing personal letters to somebody does not require fluency, so they probably could.

15. Chrisius Maximus says:

“I have no idea what “gist dip” is,”

Something for chips I think. He’s reminding you that Geras wants you to bring condiments. He knows because Geras has interviewed him many times.

16. Tim Newman says:

Chris,

Your abject failure to be picked up by Counterpunch has meant you’ve missed out on the opportunity to find yourself in the company of such nuanced articles as Is President Bush Sane?, and The Shame of Being An American where we learn that:

“Muslim genocide in one form or another is the professed goal of the neoconservatives who have total control over the Bush administration”

You really do need to make more of an effort if you’re going to be taken seriously as a commentator.

17. Chrisius Maximus says:

I would fall on my sword, if I had a sword, and falling on my eraser won’t produce the desired effect.

18. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Acquiring wealth (62%) trumps family (58%), children (45%), career (37%) and a good education (21%) as key goals. It’s quite interesting that a good education is at the opposite end of wealth, since one would expect the former providing a greater opportunity for get the latter. What it tells me is that for Russian youths, wealth is viewed as something obtainable without or in spite of education.”

Sean, I don’t think this jibes with the greatly increased level of university enrollment since 1991. If anything I would think the opposite is true, since wealth correlates with education much more than it did in the Soviet days.

19. Misha says:

Such is the fraud Chris Doss, who goes along with a neoconesque slur of a very good webzine.

Counterpunch is propped to the left of this blog. In intellect, it sure beats Greater Surbiton.

As the witless wonder babbles on in French.

20. Chrisius Maximus says:

I can insult you in other languages too. Pos zoe en oikoi matros sei; gar ekousan auten hedeian graun oukh einai.

Mataiotes mataioteton, Mike.
    Mataiotes mataioteton, ta panta mataiotes.

21. Tim Newman says:

In intellect, it sure beats Greater Surbiton.

Not a chance. Say what you like about Marko Attila Hoare’s opinions, but there is no doubting his intellect.

22. Chrisius Maximus says:

Ger, how do you say “Mike is a dick” in Irish?

23. Misha says:

His “intellect” has been soundly debunked.

Chris I’m not you. Stop trying to elevate yourself.

The above linked is more related to FSU matters unlike Doss’off topic linguistic display.

24. Misha says:

Say what you want about Srdja Trifkovic and Nebojsa Malic, but there’s no doubting their superior intellect.

25. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Chris I’m not you.”

Whew! I was scared for a second there.

26. Chrisius Maximus says:

Ger, how’s this?

“Tб tъ grбnna agus tб tъ i do chуnaн le do mhбthair fуs”

I don’t think the accents and stuff came out right.

27. Tim Newman says:

His “intellect” has been soundly debunked.

Not a chance.

28. Misha says:

It was beyond a reasonable doubt.

29. Misha says:

There’s something rather Stalinist about a blog which doesn’t allow for comments and only links to sites which are politically the same. On top of that are the punk like barbs against established intellects.

THERE’S NOTHING INTELLECTUAL ABOUT THAT.

30. Chrisius Maximus says:

There’s nothing intellectual about typing in all caps either.

31. Tim Newman says:

32. Misha says:

Newman shows his lack of wit again, with Doss revealing his lack of intelligence; which he so desperately tries to coverup.

33. Misha says:

Chris Doss’ idea of intellectual discourse:

“Chrisius Maximus on May 6, 2008 1:57 am Ger, how do you say ‘Mike is a dick’ in Irish?”

*****

He keeps thinking that I’m like him.

34. Tim Newman says:

Newman shows his lack of wit again

An engineer lacking wit is a more enviable situation than a writer lacking adjectives.

35. Misha says:

Putting the grammar Nazi who isn’t so up to snuff in his native language.

I’m more of an ideas person as opposed to a pure writer. A number of pure writers crank out pure horseshit.

36. Misha says:

That’s: Putting aside the grammar Nazi…

37. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Chris Doss’ idea of intellectual discourse”

Dia ti zoeis v oikoi matros? Soi tettarakontatettares ete.

38. Misha says:

Uckfa ouya otherma.

39. Misha says:

The record at this thread once again shows who did and didn’t initiate the trolling.

40. Misha says:

Pardon the double the.

Doss is such a pathetic loser.

Off to something that’s truly challenging.

41. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Uckfa ouya otherma.

Intelligent folks know how to stoop lower than the the lowest of low lives among us.”

Apokteinomen ton barbaron!

It’s so funny that you have absolutely no idea what language this is. I could do this all day. Might bug Sean though. 🙂

42. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Off to something that’s truly challenging.”

That would require doing work, so I assume that you are actually going to sleep.

43. IRISHMAN says:

”Ger, how’s this?

“Tб tъ grбnna agus tб tъ i do chуnaн le do mhбthair fуs”

I don’t think the accents and stuff came out right.”

🙂 its hard make out everything cos of the Russian script, but I believe you said in Irish ”vyu durak i yob tvoi mat”’:-) Am I right? Anyway, maladyets Chris, I’m always thrilled to see foreigners use our starii yazuyk. If you ever want any books or stuff for Irish study let me know and I’ll post em to you, this is the best place to get it.

”Indeed, Stalin was a keen blogger, and was much maligned for his not allowing comments.”

He was indeed, as were Michael Collins and Ho Chi Minh. And all three were judicious users of adverbs, unike someone I could mention:-)

”You brag about having a language proficiency, while having an extremely limited knowledge about a good number of FSU topics.”

44. Chrisius Maximus says:

Thanks Ger! I asked a friend in Dublin to tell we how to say, “you’re ugly and still live with your mom.”

45. “Well, at least he has language proficiency. You have neither that or knowledge on Russia. How could you when you speak no Russian? Mike, why dont you go and learn it???”

***

Not quite troll. Once again, Sean Guillory, David Johnson, Ira Straus and (until recently) Peter Lavelle are (were in the apparent instance of Lavelle) all apparently not fluent in Russian. Your hypocritical barbs on language reveal what a fraud you’ve been.

Once again troll, the putrid likes of Chris Doss conclusively prove how purported knowledge of a foreign language doesn’t always relate to being well versed on a number of topics pertaining to the country in question.

If Doss and your **** ass self are so smart, the two of you wouldn’t be carrying on like this.

The two of you would also have something to substatively show of yourselves. A matter that appears to be very much lacking unlike yours truly.

———————————————-

“Chrisius Maximus on May 6, 2008 2:18 pm Thanks Ger! I asked a friend in Dublin to tell we how to say, ‘you’re ugly and still live with your mom’.”

****

Chris, stop trying to perceive me as yourself. I’m fortunately not like you.

46. That’s: substantively

47. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Once again, Sean Guillory, David Johnson, Ira Straus and (until recently) Peter Lavelle are (were in the apparent instance of Lavelle) all apparently not fluent in Russian.”

But you don’t know ANY.

“Chris, stop trying to perceive me as yourself. I’m fortunately not like you.”

Let’s use the correspondence theory of truth here. Does the proposition “Chris lives with his mom” match the state of affairs? Chris lives in Moscow; Chris’ mom lives in North Carolina. Thus, the proposition does not match the state of affairs and is false. How about the proposition “Mike live with his mom”? Well, Mike lives in New York in his mom’s basement. Thus, the proposition corresponds with the state of affairs and is therefore true. Accordingly, Mike is correct is saying that Chris is not like Mike, but in a way opposite that of what he intended, as the proposition “Chris lives with his mom” has a positive truth value, and the proposition “Mike lives with his mom” a negative one.

48. Sean says:

Hey Mike, leave me out of this.

49. Why Sean?

It’s your blog and you’re allowing those two to carry on like that.

I’ve raised a perfectly valid point.

Do the right thing and tell them to knock it off.

You’ve previously intervened on such matter.

50. Doss

I do know some Russian and am considerably more well versed on a number of Russia related topics than yourself.

If you’re to be believed, you’ve seen your mom more recently than I’ve mine. She’s in Florida. Not that any of this relates to FSU matters.

51. Chrisius Maximus says:

“more well versed”

Better-versed

52. Sean says:

Do the right thing and tell them to knock it off.

You’ve previously intervened on such matter.

Okay, children, Mike wants mommy to step in. We know he’s special and I expect both of you to be a little more mature. Now, Chris and Ger go to your rooms and think about why mommy is mad at you. Don’t make me pull out my switch.

53. Chrisius Maximus says:

Fascist!

54. Re: http://orangeukraine.squarespace.com/journal/2008/4/15/another-intermission.html?currentPage=2#comments

See the moderator’s stance Sean.

Awhile back, you posted a tab of leading commenters with a barb at me. Since then it has been taken down. In that time thereafter, how often has Doss posted at SRB? Frequently making cheap shot remarks at me that can be easily applied to others besides yourself.

Awhile back, you said that all views are welcomed and initiated a civility code of sorts.

55. It’s “fascist” to hypocritically allow someone to hijack a thread with repeat insults which are off topic.

I’ve certainly tryed to stay away from that.

This doesn’t preclude me from replying to such manner with matter of fact points.

I don’t claim to be “special.”

56. Tim Newman says:

57. IRISHMAN says:

”It’s “fascist” to hypocritically allow someone to hijack a thread with repeat insults which are off topic.”

Mike, you’ve been hijacking whole blogs, never mind threads, with your wares. SRB, SL, Russia Blog, Ukraine.com, all flooded with your views.

”I don’t claim to be “special.””

This from the guy who stormed off a week or so ago saying ”i’m too good for this shit”. Mike you have the biggest ego in the whole land of Russo-punditry. Give it a rest.

58. Chrisius Maximus says:

“Indeed, the Nazis were well known for being lenient on those who would hijack comment threads. It is said that Jews, gypsies, and homosexuals facing deportation to the camps in the east would rush to an internet cafe and repeatedly post insults on a thread, thus earning clemency from their oppressors and saving their own lives.”

See? Not only is making fun of Mike entertaining, it has survival value.

59. Misha says:

Three individuals carrying on like assholes.

The three of them comnbined don’t appear to have come close to achieving what I’ve substantively done on the subject.

The “IRISHMAN” is a most disgusting liar. Anyone lauding his manner here can’t be much better.

Doss is socially retarded, with Newman not having a clue on what a true intellect is.

If I’m so unimportant, they wouldn’t be trolling like this. They’re perhaps taking on the role of useless idiots trying to appeal to some not so earnest others.

60. Tim Newman says:

If I’m so unimportant, they wouldn’t be trolling like this.

61. Chrisius Maximus says:

“They’re perhaps taking on the role of useless idiots trying to appeal to some not so earnest others.”

Exactly. This is a great way to meet not so earnest women.

62. Misha says:

“Tim Newman on May 7, 2008 8:47 pm If I’m so unimportant, they wouldn’t be trolling like this.

The number of people abusing an individual in the comments section of a third party’s blog is a strange measure of importance indeed.”

****

“Trolling” is the more accurate word than “abuse.”

There’s nothing particularly noble about it.

BTW, as followup, it was friend who made the “fascist” reference. I utilized it in a more carrect manner.

———————————————-

“Chrisius Maximus on May 7, 2008 9:08 pm ‘They’re perhaps taking on the role of useless idiots trying to appeal to some not so earnest others.’

Exactly. This is a great way to meet not so earnest women.

****

Perhaps revealing of your own sexual failures.

Are you stil a “friend” of Peter Lavelle of RTTV?

If so, what does he think of your trolling?

He can be reached via

His email is a matter of record.

63. Misha says:

That’s: still

64. Chrisius Maximus says:

I wonder what Mike thinks “matter of record” means.

65. Misha says:

Does he approve of Chris Doss’ trolling?

66. Chrisius Maximus says:

Who cares? He’s not my dad. D you have any other people’s emails you would care to copy and paste for no apparent reason? Good knows you’ve spammed enough poor people.

Seriously Mike, you need help. You are clearly near the breaking point, your fragile sanity snapping once and for all, the last vestiges of a connection to reality finally evaporating. Your mom is going to come up to your room to find you scrawling badly written Russocentric essays in your own feces and mailing them to the New York Times. Then again, this could be a bonus for her, since the disability check could help compensate for the rent you haven’t been paying.

67. Misha says:

Chris, you’re the one in need of help as shown by how you carry on here and elsewhere.

It’s really not normal behavior.

I provide serious analysis on former Communist bloc matter.

This isn’t to be confused with the kind of trolling you do here.

Once again, I’m not like you.

68. Misha says:

As for your troll psychoanalysis and “he’s not my dad” reference, perhaps you’ve lacked a father figure in your seemingly very miserable existence.

69. Tim Newman says:

There’s nothing particularly noble about it.

Which is why I find it odd that you think it an indicator of your importance.

Your usage of the term was more correct?!! Perhaps your friend wrote:

A.A. Milne, in a facist manner, created Eeyore with his tail held on with a thumb tack

70. Chrisius Maximus says:

My does Mike keep posting Peter Lavelle’s email? Is he trying to make himself look important? Who’s next, Gwynneth Paltrow? I would not be surprised to learn that Mike had spammed her to. He probably expects free tickets to go see Iron Man.

Speaking of dads, Mike, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you. Your momz and I have been corresponding for some time and, well, we’ve fallen in love. The wedding is already scheduled. Anyway, son, the sweet lady is fed up with you and your ways. You won’t get a job, you won’t learn to write, and you won’t clean your room. It smells like something died in there. So I’m putting my foot down. First, I’m cutting off your allowance. Second, you have to look for a job. It’s time to move out, and Serbianna paychecks just aren’t cutting it. You’re 45, for Christ’s sake.

If you don’t, we’re going to have to disown you, and adopt a son that will really love this beautiful woman whose heart you have so cruelly broken. Like Tim.

71. Misha says:

GP is more well known than PL and I’m substantively more relevant than the troll Chris Doss.

A man child in his late thirties, who gets his rocks off by trolling.

His ongoing childhood continues.

Quite pathetic.

Newman

I don’t waste my time posting anything about you elsewhere. That’s because you’re an idiot, as shown by who you regard and don’t regard as an intellect.

72. Misha says:

“Spamming” as in how Untimely Thoughts was mailed. Ditto the Action Ukraine Report and a number of other news/commentary venues.

By himself, Chris doesn’t seem to have anything worthy of a significant following among folks involved with media and academia.

Trolling at blogs is his apparent high point.

73. Chrisius Maximus says:

“His “job” seems to be as a troll posting idiotic comments at blogs. Besides Serbianna, there’re BBC, Inosmi.ru, Couinterpunch, News Now, Russia Journal and Google News, EIN News appearances, which he hasn’t come close to matching.”

Mike has forgotten where I used to work, and in what book I have been published. That’s funny.

Go clean your room Mike. If you don’t shape up, you’re going to have to suffer a heartbreaking episode like the famous Clockwork Orange homecoming scene. Your Pee and Em will not stand by you forever, you middle-aged hoodlum.

I can see it now:

MIKE
    Well — I’m back.

CHRIS
    (with feigned enthusiasm)
    Aye. Glad to see you back, lad.

MIKE’S MOMZ
    Why didn’t you let us know what was happening, son?

MIKE
    Sorry, Em, I wanted it to be like… a big surprise for you and Chris.

CHRIS
    Well, it’s a surprise all right, a bit bewildering too.

MIKE’S MOMZ
    We’ve only just read about it in the morning papers.

CHRIS
    Aye. You should have let us know, lad, not that we’re not very pleased to see you again. All cured too, eh?

MIKE
    That’s right, Dad they did a great job on my gulliver, I have a job as a gainfully employed Russocentric pundit.

CHRIS
    Aye.

MIKE
    (looks in the kitchen)
    Well, still the same old place then, eh?

CHRIS
    Oh, aye, aye.

MIKE
    (fake whisper)
    Hey, Dad, there’s a strange fella sitting on the sofa there munchy-wunching lomticks of toast.

CHRIS
    Aye, that’s Tim Newman. He… ummmm, lives here now. The lodger. That’s what he is… he… he rents your room.

Mike confronts Tim.

MIKE
    How do you do, Joe? Find the room comfortable, do you? No complaints?

TIM
    I’ve heard about you. I know what you’ve done. Breaking the hearts of your poor grieving parents. So you’re back? You’re back to make a life of misery for your lovely parents, is that it? Well, over my dead corpse you will, because you see, they’ve let me be more like a son to them than like a lodger.

Mike cocks his fist and starts to retch violently, almost at the same moment Joe drops back on the couch next to Mike’s Momz.

MIKE’S MOMZ
    Tim! Tim! Don’t fight here boys!

Mike burps and retches.

TIM
    Oh, please. Do put your hand over your mouth, it’s bloody revolting.

74. Misha says:

The troll strikes again with more babble.

If his stuff here was so great, it’d no doubt be marketable elsewhere.

Has he written any books? Does he have book authors contacting him to do book reviews? Where has his formal commentary appeared?
    Where he used to work? the key is “used to work.”

Fortunately, I’m not like him.

75. Misha says:

That long winded snooze regarding Newman is a tell all of his insanity.

Taped laughing can’t cover how bad it is.

76. Chrisius Maximus says:

Mike, you’re so out of it, you don’t even know what that was, do you?

Now, go acquire some basic cultural literacy. I recommend going to these things called “books.” A book is sort of like a blog, only it’s made of paper, with the words written on a series of think leaves within a binding, and if you write a commentary on it, the author won’t usually write back.

77. Misha says:

He continues to set a record at making an even bigger idiot of himself.

This is his greatest talent. Doing the otherwise impossible.

He should actually practice what he has just preached.

A recent example was shown by how he confidently made a series of assumptions that were clearly shown to be wrong. His being wrong had to do with a lack of knowledge. That lack of knowledge having to do with his not being so well versed on a particular subject.

If he were so talented, he’d be getting books mailed to him with the invitation to write reviews.

His ability is limited to posting bullshit at blogs.

78. Chrisius Maximus says:

Mike, doesn’t it ever embarrass you that you don’t know basic stuff any educated person is supposed to know? You never heard of Cotton Mather; you don’t know what A Clockwork Orange is. I also don’t think you got Tim’s A.A. Milne reference.

Other people preface essays with references to Mahler (who Mike never heard of of course); Mike prefaces essays with references to Jackass. This is genuinely amazing, a great indictment of either the American educational system or Mike’s own unfathomable laziness.

79. Chrisius Maximus says:

Sorry Sean, this is getting out of hand, though very entertaing to me. I shall now desist.

80. Misha says:

He proved the obvious Sean.

What he finds “enteraing” is a tell all sign of his warpedness.

“Clockwork Orange”? You don’t have any yarbels as shown by your cowardly rants here.

Note Doss’ trolling by bringing up matter unrelated to Russia and other former Communist bloc issues.

The fool didn’t even know who Ovechkin is.

81. Tim Newman says:

I don’t waste my time posting anything about you elsewhere.

And where have I suggested that you did?

Just because I regard your articles to be of poor quality, strewn with factual errors, and expressed in low-quality English with limited adjectives and awful analogies in contrast to the admirable works of the historian Marko Attila Hoare, it does not make me an idiot. If anything, it is evidence of quite the opposite.

82. Tim Newman says:

Besides Serbianna, there’re BBC…

83. Chrisius Maximus says:

“I must confess I never read anything of yours which has appeared on the BBC, but I did find this search result rather telling.”

You can only know Mike via negativa.

84. Misha says:

That’s because you didn’t do a thorough search numb skull.

As shown by your low intellect, there’s no legitimacy to the basis of your views about me.

You carry on like a punk, whose closest claim to fame is along the lines of trolling at blogs.

85. Misha says:

Doss lies again.

He said he’d stop, only to continue.

86. Misha says:

There’s a lot to be desired about the “admirable” work of MAH.

Specifically, his not doung such a great job at supporting some of his opinions.

Soemone truly thinking differently while bashing Counterpunch, Chronicles and Antiwar.com doesn’t have much intelligence.

87. Tim Newman says:

That’s because you didn’t do a thorough search numb skull.

A site-wide search of the term “averko” is about as thorough a search as is possible on the BBC.

Strange that nothing came up, isn’t it?

88. Misha says:

Not quite numb skull.

BTW, I wouldn’t waste my time doing a search of anything pertaining to yourself.

89. Sean says:

This thread is closed. If this spreads to another thread I’m just going to start kicking people off. I’ve removed Peter Lavelle’s email from all of Mike posts. Mike, or anyone, if you post someone’s email like this, you will be banned.

Comments are closed.